Know all the tricks to play rummy
Rummy is a game played with cards of a standard pack, with either two players or four in partnership. It most likely originated in India before it spread through the region. To play Rummy one must know that is different from other card games in that players form sets and sequences of cards by drawing and discarding until all cards are used up, whereas most traditional card games revolve around making individual hands which are evaluated against the opponents’ hands. The player or partnership who manages to play all their cards first wins the round. Points are scored over multiple rounds and added together to determine a winner at the end of the game.
To play rummy and have fun follow the following tips:
- Do not get greedy, play for just the points: Rummy is a game of points, not a game of cards. If everyone starts playing for the points then the whole session would go down in flames. Keep that in mind always remember there is no such thing as a zero-point hand in Rummy so don’t play for it.
- No need to guess the card other than its suit: Sometimes you may have to draw multiple cards before making your choice and that is perfectly okay. Everyone should be equally allowed to make their choice without any bias at all even if drawing many cards at one time puts you at some high odds of drawing something valuable that you may want when it comes to making your pair or sequence.
- No cheating: Do not cheat, do not ask others to cheat, and don’t allow others to cheat. Cheating is the sign of a sore loser who just can’t handle the fact that they are losing to someone else out of sheer luck as opposed to skill. If there is any cheating take precautions immediately because once it all goes down it will be a really bad game and nobody wins in that situation.
- Be ready to lose: Don’t get too attached to your cards and don’t be scared of losing. If you are playing a game of Rummy and you don’t lose at least a couple of times then chances are you are playing with people who are very inexperienced in the game. Losing is just part of the game. It is not the end of the world and there will always be another hand and another round which you can use to make up for what was lost.
- Know when to quit: The first rule about quitting Rummy is that there is no rule about quitting Rummy. If you are losing badly then you should quit now. If you are winning then do not quit, keep on adding points and winning more rounds. Don’t be that guy who will just keep on playing round after round no matter how much they lose even if they are losing badly and completely out of the session.
- Do not obsess: Don’t be that person who is obsessed with the game, just because he/she may never win a game or loses every game does not mean that he/she is the best player ever or the king of Rummy world. The odds for winning Rummy is about 1 in 4. Always keep that in mind and don’t let the losses get to your head too much.
- Play for fun, not for glory: There are many kinds of rummy games like 7 Card game Rummy, 5 card game rummy, Indian Rummy, and many more. Make sure you are playing the one you know well. If you think that the rules have been changed or anything at all then ask politely, don’t go ranting because then it would be a bad situation as everyone will lose their focus on having fun and start trying to prove each other wrong or right, etc… If you do not understand anything they say, just ask politely until they explain to your satisfaction.
- Practice makes perfect: If you haven’t played Rummy for a long time then practice with pops or just lay down the cards and repeat the process. It surely does help in developing some strategies and getting used to the cards at hand so that you can make better choices later on in an actual session, especially when you are playing with new people who have never played before or even if you are playing a game that has more unknown rules as well like 5 Card Rummy which is new to many in this day of age of the internet.
- Know the limitations of the game: Know your card’s limitations and don’t go running out to get more cards just because you have a good hand and are sure you are going to win. You can always bet in Rummy but never count on it as a strategy at all.