Business management is an extremely challenging task. It requires you to promote multiple datasets into single data or from one system to another. These days we outsource data conversion services and data migration services to the agencies specializing in it. This allows us to deal with the challenges involved during data conversion and data migration. In this blog, we will look at the significant differences between data conversion services and data migration services.
Data Conversion Services
Data conversion is an integral part of data migration. However, data conversion and data migration are not the same. Data conversion helps you look into the data load, review it, and comprehend the testing concerns. Given below are the steps involved in data conversion. Understanding this will make it easy for you to get an idea of the process and find an ideal agency to outsource data conversion services when required. The main steps followed while providing data conversion services involve:
- Analysis of data
- Discovering the origin of data
- Checking for loss of any crucial information
- Appropriate translation and conversion of data
- Selecting the right destination
- Checking the accuracy of information before loading it into the new database.
The data conversion process can get complex as it requires those involved to thoroughly understand the source of the data and the required format. So make sure to outsource data conversion services with this basic understanding.
Data migration facilitates data transfer from one system to another. We use data migration when we want to implement an ERP or HRIS. Data migration, similar to data conversion, involves a series of steps. These steps include:
- Data review and implementation
- Data mapping to identify inconsistencies
- Tracing the tables with the data
- Identifying where the data can be migrated
- Safe transfer of migrated data
- Data testing
Data migration is something we do just once. However, we may have to conduct several test migrations to ensure mapping accuracy. Probable data migration challenges can be averted by taking care of the following:
- Ensure that the data fields you used in the old database before performing the data migration are present in the new database.
- Make special efforts to learn how to deal with various formats of files for convenience.
- Pay special attention to see if any data field merges during the process.
Here Are Some Important Points Differentiating Data Conversion From Data Migration:
- Data conversion converts data from one format to a different one. While data migration deals with the selection, preparation, extraction, and transform data and permanently transferring it from one computer to another.
- Data conversion protects the data from getting lost or corrupted. While data migration helps you combine two sets of data belonging to 2 different organizations.
- Data conversion deals with various data types like traffic, voice, photo, video, geographical, etc. On the other hand, data migration deals with multiple migrations like storage, cloud, database, etc.