Graduation degree courses are very important, be it for getting a lucrative job or participating in various types of government exams. Also, graduation courses impart students with in-depth knowledge that enables them to get professional jobs.
However, many students are unable to continue their graduation degree courses in a traditional mode. Therefore, distance education courses provide them with the opportunity to get their graduation degree without having to attend a regular college. Hence, there are many open universities in India where students can apply to pursue an online degree course.
Additionally, the further articles help in getting vital knowledge of the distance degree courses. Also, about which open university in India is the best for pursuing distance courses.
Students can opt for various types of undergraduate and postgraduate degree open university courses. So, listed below are some of the most sought-after and job-oriented bachelor’s and master’s degree programs.
Undergraduate (Bachelors) Degree Courses
Bachelor of Art (BA), Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM), Bachelor of Business Management (BBA), Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication (BJMC), Bachelor of Social Work (BSW), Bachelor of Library and Information Science (B.Lis), and others are popular UG courses.
Postgraduate (Masters) Degree Courses
Students can opt for postgraduate courses such as Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Commerce (M.Com), Master of Science (M.Sc), Master of Computer Application (MCA), Master of Journalism and Mass Communication (MJMC), Master of Library and Information science (M.Lis), Master of Hotel Management (MHM), Master of Social Work (MSW), and others.
Eligibility Criteria for Distance Degree Courses
- To enrol in a distance bachelor’s course, students have to complete their 10+2 from any board that is recognized by the central government or the state government.
- Students that want to pursue a postgraduate degree program have to complete their bachelor’s degree or any other equivalent degree from any UGC authorized college/institute.
What are Some Open Universities for Pursuing Distance/Online Graduation Courses?
Students can get admission to open universities that are approved by the UGC-DEB. So, some of the prestigious distance education colleges are such as:
- Chandigarh University (CU)
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
- Jaipur National University
- Online Jain University
- Swami Vivekanand Subharti University (SVSU)
- Suresh Gyan Vihar University
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (Deemed-to-be University)
- Online Manipal University
- D.Y. Patil University
Besides that, there are many other universities that provide distance graduation programs. Hence, students can get admission to colleges according to their convenience and interests.
What are the things to Do Before Enrolling in an Open University Degree?
There are a few points you should consider before enrolling in distance education universities:
- First and foremost, students must check if the website of the college/institute is authentic or not.
- Afterwards, students can check the eligibility parameters of the college they want to enrol in.
- Recognition and approval are vital for more colleges as they help to understand the reputation of the colleges. Therefore, students should check if the college is UGC-DEB recognized and the grade rating by the NAAC.
- Then, students should check the curriculum of the course they want to pursue.
- Students should inquire about the quality of the education and the student’s support services.
- Lastly, one of the most important things students should know is about the placement record of the college.
These points help students enrol in a prestigious distance education college and get a prosperous career option after completing their distance graduation degree.
Can I get an Open University Admission to Pursue a One-year Degree?
A one-year degree program helps students complete their graduation courses in one year. However, there are some specific conditions for getting admission to an open university to pursue a one-year degree course.
Therefore, students are eligible to opt for a distance education course If –
- They left their graduation course in the first, second, or third year.
- Students who did not complete their graduation degree program.
- Students that do not pursue graduation courses after 12th because they get a government job.
- There is a gap of a minimum of three years between 12th and graduation degrees.
If students follow one of the listed above criteria, they can opt for the one-year degree program. So, to enrol in a one-year degree, students can get admission by Credit Transfer, Breaking Study, or Lateral Entry.
What are the Benefits of Online/Distance Education Courses?
- With an online degree, students can complete their graduation courses without going to college and attending regular classes.
- Online or distance graduation courses are way more affordable than regular mode.
- A distance degree is valid for getting various job profiles.
- In online graduation mode, students can join virtual online classes through video conferencing.
Distance education is advantageous for candidates who are unable to complete a graduate course at a traditional college. students start to work on a job or prepare for government exams.
As a result, open university in India gives students an opportunity to complete their graduation degree in distance mode. Furthermore, dropout students can also opt for a one-year degree at the best open university in India to obtain their graduation degree in one year.