Modern innovative technologies assist human beings in increasing productivity and leading an easy life. Wearable technologies are one category of modern devices that make lives more effortless. This blog focuses on wearable technology, its benefits and pitfalls, with particular focus on its effects on the educational sector.
What is wearable technology?
Wearable technology refers to devices that can be attached to the body to collect and save various information. Many devices on the market, such as Fitbit, Polar, Apple watch and Garmin, serve this purpose. There are smartwatches, glasses, bracelets and rings that can track pulse, pay bills, make calls, track motion, keep reminders, and track health. Many sectors use this technology to improve their productivity and to ease efforts.
Benefits of wearable technology in the Educational Sector.
There are several ways in which wearable technology may be used by students and teachers.
- Instapaper is a mobile app with unlimited storage for articles and books. This app can be connected to the Apple Watch, and the students can use it for easy reference.
- The students can record lectures and track their daily activity on these devices.
- Teachers can use VR devices in classes to illustrate complex ideas in an easier form. VR devices can allow visiting various places virtually and can make boring history classes interesting.
- There are brain sensor devices which can measure the impulses transmitted by the human brain and record them for reference. Teachers can use this information to check the students’ understanding of new topics taught.
- The fitness trackers in watches and bracelets contain technology which allows to track health. Parents can use this technology with sick kids to check their health conditions while they are in school. It can also be used during physical education classes to check the performance of students.
Risks of wearable devices.
Even though wearable devices open many doors of opportunities, they come with some risks.
- There are chances of students getting carried away with the comfort technology provides them. They might get distracted and may indulge in the activities that may take away their interest in academics.
- Privacy is already an unreal concept in the modern world. Wearable technology also poses a threat to data privacy. The apps we download get linked to emails and passwords and there are companies that illegally share various data of people with third parties. So, the chances of data misuse cannot be neglected.
Ways to manage privacy risks posed by technology
Privacy breach cannot be avoided completely. But some steps can minimize it.
- Always check the privacy settings before installing and using an app. Always check if an app is connected to social media and that your data is not published for a wider audience.
- Turn your location tracking off to save your data and private information.
Changing times demand innovative technology to cope up. The process of learning and education is never ending and innovation is essential to digest newer information with ease. It is always good to incorporate newer technologies with safer practices in academics to help students learn effortlessly.