The Civil Service examination is undoubtedly one of the toughest examinations in India. It is very tough due to various reasons such as the stiff competition due to the massive number of candidates that appear for the examination, the difficulty level of the examination, the vast subjects that are covered in the examination. Hence, it is important that candidates are aware of the books which can be used while preparing for the UPSC Civil Service examination. This article throws light on the Book list for UPSC Civil Service Examination.
For complete details on the UPSC Book List for Prelims and Optional subjects, visit the given link.
UPSC Book List – General Studies Paper 4
Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude for Civil Services Mains Examination by Subba Rao and P.N. Roy Chaudary is a good reference book for candidates while preparing for the General Studies Paper – 4.
UPSC Book List – General Studies Paper 3
While preparing for the UPSC Civil Services Mains Examination Paper 3, aspiring candidates can refer to the following list of Books for different subjects:
- Challenges to Internal Security of India by Ashok Kumar
- Environment and Disaster Management published by Tata McGraw Hill
- Indian Economy book written by Nitin Singhania.
UPSC Book List – General Studies Paper 2
While preparing for the UPSC Civil Services Mains Examination Paper 2, aspiring candidates can refer to the following list of Books for different subjects:
- International Relations authored by Pushpesh Pant.
- Introduction to the Constitution of India authored by D D Basu.
- Indian Polity book written by M. Laxmikanth.
UPSC Book List – General Studies Paper 1
While preparing for the UPSC Civil Services Mains Examination Paper 1, aspiring candidates can refer to the following list of Books for different subjects:
- Fundamentals of Physical Geography NCERT Class 11
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography authored by G C Leong.
- World Atlas (Orient Black Swan)
- World Geography authored by Majid Husain.
- Geography of India authored by Majid Husain.
- Ancient India authored by R.S Sharma
- History of Medieval India authored by Satish Chandra.
- India after Independence authored by Bipan Chandra.
- India’s Struggle for Independence authored by Bipan Chandra.
- Indian Art and Culture authored by Nithin Singhania.
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)
The Union Public Service Commission conducts the Civil Service Examination to recruit candidates into 24 different different Civil Services. The 24 different services can be bifurcated as All India Service, Group ‘A’ Civil Services, and Group ‘B’ Civil Services. There are a total of 16 Group ‘A’ Civil Services, 5 Group ‘B’ Civil Services and 3 of them are All India Services.
The UPSC syllabus for GS Paper I covers topics related to General Science, General issues on Environmental Ecology, Biodiversity, and Climate Change, Economic and Social Development, Indian Polity and Governance, Indian and World Geography, Economic Geography of India and the World, Social and Physical Geography. General Studies Paper I of UPSC prelims exam also covers History of India and Indian National Movement, Current events of national and international importance.
The UPSC syllabus for General Studies Paper II of the Preliminary examination covers topics related to General mental ability, Interpersonal skills including communication skills, Logical reasoning and analytical ability, Comprehension, Decision-making and problem solving.
Candidates have to be thorough with the UPSC Syllabus, before kick starting their preparations. If the preparation has to move in the right direction, then it should begin with studying the vast syllabus that is covered in the UPSC Civil Service examination. For more information related to UPSC Syllabus for Civil Service Examination, visit the given link.