When a file is overwritten, the data in that file is permanently erased. However, the physical space is occupied and is not immediately overwritten. It is only overwritten when new data is added and saved to that location. It is possible to use particular data recovery software to recover overwritten files until that happens. But if the space has been used for other data in the meantime, it will be impossible to retrieve the original file. In some cases, you may be able to partially recover an overwritten file if only part of the space has been reused. If the data overwritten is essential, we urge you to try the methods mentioned in the blog and try to salvage the data.
Methods to Recover Overwritten Files
Although it may seem like once a file is overwritten, it is gone forever; there are a few things you can do to try to recover the data. First, check to see if you have a backup of the file. If you regularly save your work, there is a good chance that you have an older version of the file that has not been overwritten. If you do not have a backup, try one of the following methods. First, see if you can find a temporary copy of the file on your computer. These files are often created when a document is opened or saved and are typically stored in the Temporary folder. If you cannot find a temporary copy, try opening recent documents to see if the file was inadvertently saved as another name or in another location. Finally, if you still cannot find the file, you may be able to use data recovery software to locate and restore the overwritten file. Although there is no guarantee that any of these methods will work, it is worth a try before giving up hope of ever seeing your lost data again.
Method 1: With the Help of System Restore
Windows System Restore is a utility that allows you to roll back your system to a previous state. This can be useful if you have overwritten a file and need to recover it. To use Windows System Restore, follow these steps:
- Go to Control Panel >> Open ‘System.’
- Select the ‘System Protection tab.
- Choose the drive you want to restore and click ‘Configure’.
- Select ‘Turn on system protection’ and choose how much disk space you want to use for the restore point.
- Click ‘Create’.
- Enter a description for the restore point and click ‘Create’.
- To restore your system, open the Control Panel and select ‘System’.
- Select the ‘System Protection tab and click ‘Restore system settings and previous versions of files.
- Select the restore point you created and click ‘Next’.
- Click ‘Finish’ to restore your system to the selected point.
With the steps mentioned above followed correctly, your system should be rolled back to the state when the restore point was created, allowing you to recover your overwritten files.
Method 2: Recover Files That Were Replaced From the Previous Versions
When you have a Windows backup service active, users can be able to recover overwritten files. To attempt recovery with this method, follow these steps:
- Open the Backup and Restore window by clicking the Start button, then selecting Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Backup and Restore.
- In the Backup and Restore window, click the “Restore my files” button.
- In the next window, select the location of the backup file you want to restore. This could be an external hard drive or a network location.
- Once you’ve selected the backup file, click the “Restore” button.
- In the final window, select the location where you want to restore the files. This should be an empty folder on your computer. Click “OK” to begin the restoration process.
Method 3: Data Recovery Software
Stellar data recovery for windows is a professional data recovery tool that supports all Windows versions from Windows 7 to the newest iterations of Windows 11. This tool offers a chance for data retrieval of an overwritten file. You can download the free data recovery software and use it to recover up to 1 GB of data before making any financial investment in the tool.
Stellar data recovery for windows is an invaluable tool for data recovery in other data loss scenarios. The interface is very user-friendly, and the steps for data recovery are simple to follow. Overall, Stellar data recovery for windows is an excellent choice for anyone looking for a reliable and easy-to-use data recovery tool.
Stellar data recovery software offers an excelled way to recover missing, deleted or overwritten files. However, the problem of overwritten files is more difficult to address successfully. A file overwritten is altered, possibly to make it tough to recover, or it cannot be undone. Overwritten files can be altered at times and cannot be undone at any cost. Your best defence against overwriting essential files is to make backup copies before performing any act of formation or deletion that will result in changes done to the original files. This ensures a copy of the original file is not overwritten and can be used when required. Attempts to retrieve an overwritten file can be made using the above methods.