Winter weather can be hard on our skin. Dry, itchy skin is a common problem many people suffer from during the cold winter months. This is because cold air lacks moisture and leaves our skin feeling parched and uncomfortable.
Fortunately, there are some easy tips and tricks you can use to combat dry, itchy skin in the winter. In this article, we’ll talk about why your skin gets dry in the winter, and then we’ll provide some simple steps you can take to keep it hydrated and healthy.
Why Does Winter Make My Skin So Dry?
Have you ever wondered why your skin gets so dry in the winter? The answer is simple – cold air has a low humidity level, which means it can’t hold onto moisture as well as warmer air. This lack of moisture leads to dry, itchy skin.
Other factors like frequent hot showers, central heating, and windy weather can also contribute to dry skin. This is because they draw moisture away from the skin, leaving it feeling dry and irritated.
How To Keep Your Skin Hydrated This Winter
Now that you know why your skin is so dry in the winter, let’s talk about some of the steps you can take to keep it hydrated and healthy:
1 Invest in a humidifier – Adding moisture back into the air is one of the best things you can do for dry, itchy skin. A humidifier adds moisture back into the air and helps keep your skin hydrated. This is especially useful if you have seasonal allergies since a humidifier can also help to reduce congestion.
2. Use natural oils – Natural oils like olive oil or coconut oil are great for dry skin. Simply massage the oil into your skin and let it soak in overnight. This will help keep your skin hydrated and nourished all winter long.
3. Exfoliate – Dead skin cells can build up on the surface of your skin, leaving it feeling dry and uncomfortable. Regular exfoliation will help slough away any dead skin cells and reveal softer, smoother skin underneath. Just make sure you don’t overdo it – exfoliate no more than twice a week.
4. Use honey masks – Honey is a powerful moisturizer that helps soothe itchy, dry skin. You can make your own honey mask at home by mixing together one tablespoon of honey, one teaspoon of olive oil, and a few drops of lavender essential oil. Apply the mixture to your face and leave it on for 15 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
5. Drink plenty of water – When it comes to keeping your skin hydrated, don’t forget to stay hydrated from the inside out. Drinking plenty of water will help keep your skin moisturized and healthy all winter long. It’s also important to avoid sugary drinks and caffeine, which can cause dehydration.
6. Use a gentle cleanser – Hot showers can strip away the natural oils your skin needs to stay hydrated. To avoid this, use mild soap and take short lukewarm baths or showers instead. There are also gentle cleansers specifically designed for dry, itchy skin.
7. Moisturize – Apply moisturizer while your skin is still damp to help lock in moisture. Look for products that contain hyaluronic acid, glycerin, or shea butter as these ingredients will help keep your skin hydrated and soft.
8. Talk to your doctor – If you’re having trouble keeping your skin hydrated especially during winter, it may be a sign of an underlying condition. Talk to your doctor about your symptoms and they can help you develop an appropriate treatment plan. You may also benefit from taking a supplement such as a vitamin E, which can help keep your skin moisturized.
Now that you know how to keep your skin hydrated this winter, try out some of these tips and tricks. With the right care, you can enjoy soft, healthy skin all year round!
Do you have any other tips for combating dry, itchy skin in the winter? Let us know in the comments!